It's that time of year: donating! Instead of focusing on the tax benefits, I prefer to think of the squishy part of your heart. I know you really just want to help make the world a better place. Right?
Over the years I find people ask me about the best nonprofits. I mean, I've been working in the industry a long time. And here's my answer: What's important to you?? << And give there.
But in case that's not enough for you, here are some giving ideas—15 personal favorites:
- OPB: Oregon Public Broadcasting (or NPR) ; news and public service.
- NatureBridge: Connecting kids and communities to our national parks—and elevating the need for environmental literacy nationwide.
- SMART: Reading support and community connections to those who need it most.
- Friends of Outdoor School: Integrating science and the outdoor experience into Oregon public education system—for all Oregon students.
- Cancer Research Institute: Fueling the development of smarter treatments and immunotherapy.
- Stand Up to Cancer: Advocacy and fundraising to accelerate the pace of cancer research. And results.
- Meals on Wheels People: Local organization supporting nutrition and community by providing meals to seniors and nutritionally at-risk communities.
- Snow Leopard Trust: Saving the species by science and building community.
- Cheetah Conservation Fund: Keeping the cheetah wild by supporting the whole ecosystem and communities who depend on it.
- Pacific Whale Foundation: Protecting oceans through science and advocacy.
- WildAid: Putting a stop to the illegal wildlife trade.
- Human Rights Watch: Defending human rights worldwide.
- Charity: Water: Providing clean drinking water to places in need.
- Room to Read: Improving literacy and gender equality in the developing world.
- Mercy Corps: Acting during emergencies to save and improve lives in the world's toughest places.
This should give you something to think about. Inspiring! And also totally hard just to narrow it to 15. Gulp. (I still love you, other nonprofits!) And remember folks, these revolve around my squishy heart and current interests.
Maybe you don't care about whales. (REALLY?!) Find your own passion. Support your community and world by finding and contributing to (financially or by volunteering!) places that make you believe in BETTER. Happy giving, all!